Where to start. This has been such a nice week here. I arrived on Saturday night, and we haven't planned much for the days, but somehow we keep busy, or keep content being not busy :) We tend to have naps most days, and put the fan on and relax on the bed, taking off as many layers as possible haha. It's that hot!!
I have been staying at the Oyortey's (Philip's family) and have enjoyed it oh so much. The only trouble is that they keep asking me to eat and eat and eat :) haha. And, it's not always food that I am used to/enjoy! However, with a little water I can wash down most things. I have to drink a certain kind of water, that is bottled to be sure it's okay for me. It's interesting though, I put my water on the table the first night, and they don't drink water with their meals, so I was the only one. Now, they put my water on every meal. I am actually glad for it though. That being said, it's not that the food is gross, it's just different and so I have to take little bits of it...but sometimes that doesn't satisfy them. :) But, Philip is so good, he went and got me cookies and things that I like to fill in the spaces for when I don't eat so much ;) Last night was my favorite though, we had chicken in a curry tomato sauce, and rice. Was so so yummy!! I ate lots of it, and he even asked me later.... "I noticed you ate a lot of that :)" You must like it! haha. They are keeping me in line! :)
They are 12 of them living at the house, so you can imagine, they share rooms, but they are decent size and no one would ever complain. They are snug as a bug :)
There are 3 little buildings set up on the property, the one is a kitchen, then there's one with a living room and Philip's room and the workers room, with 2 fridges, and a shower and toilet, and sort of a pantry. Then the other one has 4 more bedrooms in it.
Philip's dad and sister have a little sewing shop. They make trousers, dress shirts and womens dresses, so I have some pics of that too. His mom, Betty, works downtown so she gets home later at night in time for supper.
Yesterday we (Esther, Ami, Philip and I) went to a beach resort to hang out for a while, enjoy the ocean and have a drink by the water. It was really nice. We took a tro-tro (mini-van/bus thing that packs as many people as you can into it) and drove out there. It was about a half hour ride, but let me tell you, you think walking in Ghana is hot, how about being packed into a tro-tro with 25 people in this heat! Wow, I haven't ever had claustrophobia, but I appreciate it a little more now :) Anyways, once we got there the scenery was beautiful, and we had a great time.
SO............The pictures. I have sat here in the cafe for an hour, trying to load them and not even one will load. Perhaps when I move to my hotel, they might have internet there, and then I can use my own computer and try download them....unfortunately, not happening today. So sorry! I am running out of patience......I got an extra half hour of credit here at the cafe, but to no avail...they're not uploading. (and the power hasn't even gone out...lol) So sorry.
BUT.....Thanks for all your comments, much appreciated. I enjoy knowing that people are reading :)
I hope to send more info your way soon..
Latah..... Leah
cant wait to read more.. its completely different from canada. its interesting to hear about how they live in such a small space and the different food they eat. think about ya lots, xo
ReplyDeletealesha
Hey Leah,,,,Auntie Donna has been trying to post a comment and so I am just trying this out to makes sure I have a half a clue as to what I am doing. Thanks for all your efforts in keeping in touch. Looking for pictutes when you can,, I see it can be a bit trying. Love ya,,
ReplyDeleteYour good ole Dad