Hello Again to all,
I have had a few days off from being at the cafe, so I will try to pick up where I left off.
The weather here has been hot, as normal, however we have a few nights of rain the past little bit, and it cools things off so nicely at night. These nights I don't have to have my fan on all night long. I actually got cool one night and had to put a sheet over me. Imagine that! haha.
I am going to try tell you a few little things I'm learning about the culture...
-Always use your right hand when handing something to someone, or taking something from someone. This is common courtesy and if you don't it will be rude to some people.
-When you enter a room and there is a few people that you are going to shake hands with, you start with the people on the right, even if it's a little child, and then you work your way to the left, greeting everyone.
-Mothers carry their babies on their backs. However they don't have them there until they are about 3 months old, so they are a little stronger to hold their heads better. They will carry them here until they are even 3-4 years old. The mothers that work have them on their backs all day.
-If you are sitting at the table eating when someone else arrives, you should invite them to your food..(ask them if they would like some) but you say "you are invited." :)
-the ladies hair here is thick and takes a long time to dry, so if it starts to rain, you will see all the women put a plastic bag over their head, or a towel or anything to keep the rain off. They would have to blowdry their hair, so most of them wait and only wash their hair every couple days.
-anything that you buy gets put into a little black bag, even if it's small and you can carry it. There are hundreds of these blowing in the streets because of that. They also call these bags, "rubbers". They will ask you if you want a rubber with that. haha.
-The food here at the Oyortey's, where I'm staying is most commonly cooked with peppers. So, they are so kind and take a little bit out for me so that I can bear it. Every meal consists of a tomato based sauce with some kind of meat in it, and then have that with either kenkey, banku, fufu( corn based dough stuff), or rice or plantain or yams... Good thing I like tomatoes :) We have also had peanut soup, which was yumm! and also pine nut soup, and it also is really good. There is floating "things" in these soups, and sometimes I don't ask. Most often it's fish, but I know we have actually had goat meat at one point too :) Some dishes have a taste of curry in them also, so makes it good.
------------------------------I have had a few days off from being at the cafe, so I will try to pick up where I left off.
The weather here has been hot, as normal, however we have a few nights of rain the past little bit, and it cools things off so nicely at night. These nights I don't have to have my fan on all night long. I actually got cool one night and had to put a sheet over me. Imagine that! haha.
I am going to try tell you a few little things I'm learning about the culture...
-Always use your right hand when handing something to someone, or taking something from someone. This is common courtesy and if you don't it will be rude to some people.
-When you enter a room and there is a few people that you are going to shake hands with, you start with the people on the right, even if it's a little child, and then you work your way to the left, greeting everyone.
-Mothers carry their babies on their backs. However they don't have them there until they are about 3 months old, so they are a little stronger to hold their heads better. They will carry them here until they are even 3-4 years old. The mothers that work have them on their backs all day.
-If you are sitting at the table eating when someone else arrives, you should invite them to your food..(ask them if they would like some) but you say "you are invited." :)
-the ladies hair here is thick and takes a long time to dry, so if it starts to rain, you will see all the women put a plastic bag over their head, or a towel or anything to keep the rain off. They would have to blowdry their hair, so most of them wait and only wash their hair every couple days.
-anything that you buy gets put into a little black bag, even if it's small and you can carry it. There are hundreds of these blowing in the streets because of that. They also call these bags, "rubbers". They will ask you if you want a rubber with that. haha.
-The food here at the Oyortey's, where I'm staying is most commonly cooked with peppers. So, they are so kind and take a little bit out for me so that I can bear it. Every meal consists of a tomato based sauce with some kind of meat in it, and then have that with either kenkey, banku, fufu( corn based dough stuff), or rice or plantain or yams... Good thing I like tomatoes :) We have also had peanut soup, which was yumm! and also pine nut soup, and it also is really good. There is floating "things" in these soups, and sometimes I don't ask. Most often it's fish, but I know we have actually had goat meat at one point too :) Some dishes have a taste of curry in them also, so makes it good.
Okay, so enough of that for now, here's some more pics of what's happening :)
It has a nice big yard. When conventions are on, a few little cabins are put up here for extra sleeping arrangements.
Lorpu Koiwood (Liberia), and Florence Webb (Ireland)
In front: Mariama (taken in to care for), Esther (lived with the family to take care of Grandma Oyortey, and stayed after she passed on. She's been with them for 6 years now). Myself, Betty (Philip's Mom) and Ami (Philip's sister)
(ps, I'm not this tall, I was wearing heels, so they look shorter than they are haha).
Ta ta for now, Hope everyone is well. Again, thanks for all the comments. Love hearing from home. Please feel free to give me your phone number, as I don't have any numbers with me, and I can call you sometime as well.
And I'm out........ :)
And I'm out........ :)
keep eating those tomatoes. they fight prostate cancer. ;)
ReplyDeleteAwesome! Enjoying your posts so far Leah. Love the pictures and also the notes about culture. Hope you're doing well ~ Jess
ReplyDeleteOh I wish it wasn't so far away and I could fly over for the weekend to see everyone! I keep looking at your pictures over and over! I can't believe little Situ and Yvonne and Maryama! They've gotten so big! And Esther and Ami's hair has gotten so long!!
ReplyDeleteBut everything else looks just right! :)
It looks like they're having g mtgs in Domiabra?? Say hi to the Geraldo's and all our little friends in Kasoa when you see them! And give Florence and Lorpu a big hug! And of course the Oyortey's too!
Have fun and keep posting pictures! ;)
~ Beck
Your Dad was telling me about your blog at wed night mtg & gave me the addresse :) Wow, awesome pictures!! What a diffrent life style. Looks awesome!! You and your man look so good together!! Have an awesome time. Will be fun to check this every once in a while. Take care!
ReplyDeleteJennifer Kofoed