I will put up a few more pics of convention... :)
Here we are at convention, This is Auntie Teiko and I. She was my seamstress, and made my "African" convention outfit.
This is Mariam and her brothers and her mom. Her mom is Auntie Betty's sister.
Getting ready for supper
Auntie Joanna, myself and Leslie Kumire (from Zimbabwe)
Auntie Betty, Auntie Joanna, Uncle Vincent, Auntie Koyo
Alize Hand, and I
(Matey, Ami, Vincent, Philip, Betty)
My sistah.. Ami ;)
Colm McKay and I
My "Sistah's"
Ami and Esther and Mariam
The Nigerian friends that were there
Lorpu Koiwood and I
Alan Cooke and Colm McKay
Silas, Leontine, Kaarina, Alize, Serge

Philip and I

A sing song after convention
Ami and Philip (brother and sister)
Philip and I
a little cutie
A sing song after convention
the girls sleeping quarters
(long drops, and buckets of water to shower)
The Oyortey house at convention
with the boys tent up top and tarps up
saying goodbyes Monday morning after convention

When convention got under way, the house filled up with extra people, and so I had to move out. The neighbor was so nice and offered me a bedroom in their "boys quarters" which is a little house all by itself on her property. I was there for about 10 days. It was literally the next gate over so was very convenient! It was quite a nice place to stay, and I was free to come and go as I liked, so was quite lucky it saved me from going to a hotel.
No-one knows her age, including herself. She couldn't speak English, so we used translators to talk to her.
When convention got under way, the house filled up with extra people, and so I had to move out. The neighbor was so nice and offered me a bedroom in their "boys quarters" which is a little house all by itself on her property. I was there for about 10 days. It was literally the next gate over so was very convenient! It was quite a nice place to stay, and I was free to come and go as I liked, so was quite lucky it saved me from going to a hotel.
So this was my bedroom there.

Uncle Vincent and I taking a break from the cleanup :)
Here's some of the spectators. Football is a big thing you know :)
Philip and the kids...they all love him


Dansoman (Accra) Convention 2010
Alan directing the folding up of the tent.
Uncle Vincent and I taking a break from the cleanup :)
The cleanup went well, and was finished up by a big game of football!!
Here's Philip and Colm battling for the ball
Philips mom n dad-Betty and Vincent
Ami and I
Dansoman (Accra) Convention 2010
Beautiful Ami
Fifi playing bball with his buddy.
Notice the athletic footwear being used here, Nike has nothing on this :)
Ami and I went to get our hair braided.
On our way to town one day we saw these BIG cows strolling through the streets, unattended.
Auntie Betty in her office.
Every country seems to know about Crocs. . .
but this is a new style, pink and blue
Philip took me to his mom's work one day. She is a secretary in an office here.
Philip and I went to a nice restaurant one evening to celebrate
our "one year" and my birthday.
Yumm, this was the best food we've had in Ghana!
Steak and Chicken cordon blue.
US :)
This super cute little Mami ;)
Pricilla and Mariam
Another football game. Philip and Matey battle it out
Philip and this little cutie, she is so serious :)
Ernest and Esther (cousins)
Esther and Me
More cousin love, Ami and Fifi

And me with my family :)
Matey, Ernest, Philip, Ami, Vincent, Marium, Betty, Teiko, Esther, Koyo, Fifi
And me with my family :)
My last sunday in Ghana, Photo opportunity
I suppose it's italian but we eat it often and they don't
Finished it up with some homemade rice pudding.
Having fun
I cooked one last "Canadian" meal, Spaghetti and meatsauce
I was quite proud of this also :) it was Yummy!
These are good boys here in this country :) Doing the dishes
Jamaica (one of the friends) and Matey
One of the nights before I left, all of us kids went out for supper, one last time to all be together
Yummy Burger too


Ami and Fifi



Delishioius fried chicken and fries.
Another day on the town, you just never know what you're going to see.....
anyone need a coffin?
around town
You just never know what you will see in Ghana...even a license plate from Calgary!

I realize I never showed you my bedroom in the Oyortey's, so this is where I spent 3 months :)


I can't believe I forgot to tell you that this is how the drinking water is sold here -sachet's worth 5 cents. The price did go up to 10 cents Aug 1st, and that was hard for everyone.
I realize I never showed you my bedroom in the Oyortey's, so this is where I spent 3 months :)
Philip, Ernest and I went out a couple nights night before I left.
This was our favorite hangout, called Timesquare-yummy Alvaro (pear drink) and Orange Juice. :) They knew our order every time - slightly predictable.
Us with the cool artwork in Timesquare.
The boys, Philip and Ernest
Out and about again, notice the shoes on this little cutie....All kids when they learn to walk are wearing flip flops, it's too hot there for shoes
This is the "circle" at night. This is the main hub for busses and taxi's in the city.
A very very busy place!
This is looking down from the overpass, this is the big market at Circle.

Nuerki, Zagba, Nana and Tetteh (2 of their children were not there and I didn't meet them)
Last night together :(
Was a sobering last day at the house. But we still managed to have fun
and have a smile on our faces.
At the airport...before the tears!
I had a 10 hour stopover in London on the way home. This was made much easier because I got to spend time with Philip's Aunt and Uncle and cousin's that live in London. Auntie Nana picked me up from the train, and took me to Morning meeting, and then back to the house and fed me :)
Auntie Nana, and Uncle Zagba(Vincent's brother)
Nuerki, Zagba, Nana and Tetteh (2 of their children were not there and I didn't meet them)
Me with Auntie Nana(whom I met last year at convention in Ghana), Nuerki and Tetteh
Then I arrived home in Calgary. I'll put the rest of my adventures in Canada in another post.....
Thanks to you all for your interest in my blog and for all the comments. It definitely made it easier to put in the hours to make the blog for you all. I can say that this was an excellent opportunity for me, and it opened my eyes again. I have travelled a lot, but until you live in a country, right in the culture, you don't really get the feel of it, or understand how it all works. If any of you ever get an opportunity to go to Ghana, - or Togo or Benin for that matter, please let me know and I can help you out with some of the little things.
Please keep in touch, my Calgary number is (403)-828-0318 and I'd be happy to chat. My email is: leha_321@hotmail.com if that's easier.
I don't know who all has been watching, but hope you enjoyed it.
Thanks again,
Leah
Quite a post! You're getting to be a blogger extrordinaire! Looks like you had an amazing time, and I notice the new outfits you got-- very nice! Thank you for updating us on everything. ~Jessica
ReplyDelete