Saturday, March 5, 2011

Back at home...and the rest of the pics :)

Hello Everyone that is following :)

I am back in Canada now, but I am still going to update and give you the rest of the pics that might be interesting to you .... :) Sorry, there's a lot in this post, but I figure I might as well finish them all while I'm doin it or the rest might not get done :)


This is a little precious baby girl asleep in her mom's dress shop. I barely noticed her amongst all the clothes :)

A bus full!

Busy in the bus station


Philip and I went on a Island tour Ferry ride. It was lots of fun :)

We were quite tired when we arrived, because we had to leave the house at 5:30am to get to this town in time. It was a few hours away. This was us eating our omlette and toast and tea for breakfast :)
Around the biggest man made lake in Ghana...might even be biggest man made lake in Africa


We had buffet style lunchI had this one, Chicken and fried rice....
Philip had this one, Banku and Tilapia(fish) and hot sauce ;)
I guess this looked a lot better in real life than in the picture, but there was a major glare and shine off my glasses, and so Philip wanted to try show me, but it ended up with this, which is still kinda cool I thought..
This was the "little" pool on our boat. When I looked at the brochure, I understood it had a decent size pool, so we brought our bathing suits. . . but, it was only knee deep, and pretty much only for the kids haha.
Our boat tour stopped on a little island and there were a bunch of the locals, young and old, doing a welcome dance for us.

Even from the little ones, they were giving it all they had
My favorite little cutie!
Taking care of siblings is easy, just bring them with you


A little fish market on the island..
These kids love to dance
But some are more shy
Us, on the other side of the island than where we landed..
I love this picture. This little girl held out her hand for me to give her money...I held her hand and we walked for a while. Notice her little sister now......She is nearly falling off her back haha.
Leaving the island..
This might be my new favorite picture of us :)
There was a band playing the whole time as well
so calm and still and beautiful

After we got off the boat, there was this boat, and all we saw at first was this little guy, but then....
the rest of the boat on the other side of the walkway that it was under

After a Gospel meeting one Sunday, I managed to get all the Workers together for a photo..
In back, L to R, Allan C, Ed B, Yves , Colm M...
In front, Florence W, Iona O
Ed and Yves

Cute little Mami
Kids coming home from school, in uniform
Sugar for sale, also Bananas
Philip and I went to watch Fifi play basketball at his school..



Fifi and I
Even at night, everything is still in a hustle bustle of buying and selling
Philip and I on our way to the pool one day
We had lunch along the poolside...yummy salad with meat and cheese and fresh fruit juice
Auntie Betty was the start of the birthdays for the week...This was the cake I made her
Out and about at the busy Makola Market

This was interesting. This man brought these packages of little containers and he was trying to load them in a way that this girl could carry them on her head. It took them a few times before they finally got it together and then lifted it up onto her head...



Another common sight. And, the babies are always quite content. I suppose this is because they have not known it any other way.
Ami`s birthday was next...two days after Auntie Betty`s. Ami was working, so Philip and I took food and cake to her work and we had lunch with her there.
Ami and me eating chicken and rice...Yummm This is the most common type of fast food they eat.

I took this picture for my brother...This is bricklaying Ghana style....Using a cutlass (big knife) to cut the bricks (not an electric brick cutter machine) and laying them all in place

Us on our way out for dinner to celebrate a year and a half ;)
We had a buffet here that was fabulous!! Yumm. I have never eaten so much at a buffet ever!

Oh..the desserts were fabulous as well. This was one of our plates...we each had a plate about that full :)
This is Philip`s reaction to such good dessert hahaha
And me...
At the hotel we had supper, they have a beautiful fountain. Too bad it was dark, so was hard to take pictures there.
Again, hard to see us at the fountain, but was really nice spot.
Time in Ghana wouldn't be complete without playing a little football (soccer)
Cute little girl listening to Philip`s iPod while he played football


Philip and Gareth
Him and I shared the music a while :)
This little boy, Fi, is playing with his shoes

It was Saturday, and Saturday means FUFU :) I love this Ghanaian food!! This is Auntie Teiko pounding to make Fufu
Uncle Tetteh taking a turn. Pounding is quite a workout
Eat up all :)

And the last of the birthday, two more days later, was Matey (Philip`s brother) so I made a `death by chocolate` for them all on the last day.
Ami, Matey, and Auntie Betty accepting the dessert ;)

Friendly family lizard that makes random appearances
This is my friend....Yvonne. Whenever I see her at Gospel meeting, she comes running and gives me hugs. She`s cuddly too :)
This is her and her brother... Yvonne and Situ
This is Philip`s cousin Mariam, ready for school on the last day I was there.
Colm and Yves dropped by to say goodbye to me the day I was leaving
In the taxi, this guy apparently likes Canada...he had a Canadian air freshener :)
No Comment...haha
We went out for chinese lunch the last day at the mall. YUMM
On our way back, we drove by some fruit trees...The bats love these as well. These bats are huge, almost bigger than birds.
Driving by Kenishie Market, this lady was hard at work selling her yams :)
Beautiful fruits and veggies

Selling in traffic..these Hawkers know how to catch the eye of the one that wants to buy
More school uniforms
Anyone want to buy a chicken or a duck...they bring these chickens and ducks to this place every day for selling. They will pluck it and everything right there for you
Now the time has come.....My 3 and a half weeks have come to an end....I am leaving my Ghana family behind.... Some last pics..
I was in the taxi, waving bye to them...they were able to smile through the tears better than I was :) Auntie Teiko, Mariam, Auntie Betty, and Esther
This was Philip and I at the airport spending the most possible minutes that we could together. I nearly missed the flight because the line was so long by the time I left....
We still even had some smiles in us, but with teary eyes, we smiled because we know we`ll be together again sooner than later :)

Well, there you have it. Another trip to Ghana. Thanks to you all for watching the blog, and I will update again on my next trip. I don`t have a date set yet, but I`ll let you know when I know :)

Love Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment