Monday, June 7, 2010

JUNE

Hello again,
Here is another installment of Ghana....

So, as I promised the last time, I would show you some pictures of how the mothers carry their babies. . . well, there aren't a lot of babies around here, so I had to practice with Mariam, who happens to be 9 years old!!! So, needless to say, it didn't go so well, but this is how you do it!





So, because it didnt' go so well the first time, the next week I tried with little cutie named Yvonne. She is 4, so she is still a little too big, but it worked much better this time :)



We happen to have cockroaches here. This one was with me in the shower.

Selling items in traffic

Had to get a picture of this :) CANADA

These are the buses that you take on long hauls, however I think they look like caterpillar's with antennae :)

More road side selling

Okay, there's two things about this picture...first one is the guy who wouldn't leave, and wanted to sell me icecream!! And, the second one is the girl behind, she has socks in her flip-flops, check it out!! haha I guess it is to keep the dust off her feet.

Directing traffic in rush hour

Our Taxi driver had to make a stop along the journey..this is a common sight


These guys collect the scrap metal on the streets and take it for money

So, this guy made us laugh... I think he lost his bike!!

Last week, we went for pizza, they have 2 for 1 tuesday here. It was great. So this was our pizza party!

Another day, this was our lunch. This is deep fried yam, and a tomatoe based sauce with fish and egg. This has gotten to be one of my favorites!! YUMM

Okay, so I told you a couple posts ago, about eating with your hands, this is it.... Auntie Teiko is eating Kenkey, roll it into a ball, which makes it softer, and gather the sauce and eat it. Quite effective really ~ haha

After lunch one day, we had a "orange picking event" This is Vincent using a rake to get oranges from the neighbors tree (they were allowed).

I was getting on the wall to help in this opperation..

The one side of the tree (our side) was well picked, but the good oranges were a long reach away..

This is Esther, collecting the oranges that we knocked down.

Have you ever seen such big hair on a child?? This little girl was the cutest ever!! She was shy at first, but then let me take pictures. She was on her way to get her hair braided, but her mom stopped to get some alterations done on the way.


This picture really shows how big her hair really was, bigger than my head!!


This is Mariam and Esther cooking banku. Mariam is fanning the coal pot, and Esther is stirring the dough continually.

Then Ami came along when it was ready, and put scoop fulls into the calabash (bowl made of half a fruit, calabash fruit). Get the bowl wet so the dough won't stick, and then roll the dough into a ball, then put it into the cooler to keep warm. This is what you eat with the sauces.

This also goes along with it... Mackerel Fish
deep fried in spices, very good!

So, here you go, this is me eating the meal with my fingers!
Almost fit in ;)

Philip and I went for ice cream one night. I'm not sure if that's the moon or a street light, but it's a cool picture!


This was our "Canadian Supper" night. I had to go to the Accra Mall that day, and so went to the big supermarket and got a few things to make a Stirfry. Seemed that most enjoyed it.
Just like home..YUMMM

Next was dessert. Banana Split's. This is Auntie Teiko using a knife to open the cans of fruit...the can opener broke so had to improvise.

Loading up the bananas and ice cream



This was along the roadside. Does anyone want to buy a goat??

Save money on transportation, put everyone in the back, not exactly a safe idea on some of the roads that they travel on.

Someone's little living

Philip and I went to Tema, a town an hour and half away, to visit one of the friends, Eunice.

We went out for Chinese food. It was really good. They were surprised that the blacks could make Chinese food :) All the other restaurants in the area were run by Chinese, but were closed when we went, so we ended up at this one, however it was really good!

This was on the way to Union meeting. On Union Sunday, we have to go by tro-tro about an hour to the place. This little baby continued sleeping, even though he was a little squished :)

On the way back, there was an empty tro-tro that took a whole load of us..

This was some of us in the back

Ernest, Philip and I went to Fifi's school to visit him (he is Auntie Teiko's son). He is at a boys boarding school, and visiting hours are on sunday, so we went to visit. This is in the eating hall.

This is their sunday uniform. They have to wear a white shirt with khaki shorts, and then a cloth of their choice over it.

Ernest, Fifi, and Philip

Well, there's a few pics of what's been happening here the past week or so. Hard to believe that I've been here 3 1/2 weeks already. Time is flying by. Time flies when you're having fuN!!!

Thanks to you all for writing comments on here, I really enjoy hearing from you all. I don't get much time to write back to you all individually, but pls forgive me. This post took me 3 days to do, so I hope it's worth it :) The internet link doesn't always work, so I have to do a little and come back another day.
Anyways, I enjoy sharing my adventures with you all.

Better go, hi to all, and miss you all!
Love Leah

5 comments:

  1. Thank you again for your persistance with getting pictures on the blog. I was thrilled to see some new additions. Sure wish I could pop in for a day with you all!!
    Keep smiling and enjoying.
    Loads of love
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking fabulous. Hard to believe that I'm going to be there in 18 days! - CL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Leah it looks like so much fun over there! I'm glad your having a good time and I love looking at all your pictures!
    Shayla

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are those STICKY BUNS????
    C

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leah,

    It's great to see updates and photos! It's like we're in Ghana with you! Looks like you're having a fabulous time! Enjoy every moment! Keep the posts coming!!!

    Love you!

    Rob, Lisa, Kiara, Jaris and Chase :)

    ReplyDelete