Tuesday, July 12, 2011

July...lots happening

Been busy taking more pictures so thought I'd better share... :)

Here's the roofing project, coming along nicely..

The Chief (Alan) has come to make his inspection :)
Ami and I went up on the roof and ended up just taking pics of us :)

Ami posing

On the way to the bus station..different parts of town

I just love all the babies hanging off their mom's back :) they get strong necks, no wonder they can all carry big loads on their heads :)


This little girl's mom sells food for the people waiting at the bus station, so her job is to keep the dishes clean :)

We decided we should go to Wli Falls. It was a last minute decision and we weren't very organized, we both slept past our alarms and were supposed to leave the house at 5:30am so we could go to the bus station to start our journey. As it happened, we left at 6:30am, and had to wait for nearly 2 hours for the bus to fill up for our trip to the falls.

Waiting in the bus to get more passengers

We left without breakfast, so I had a little mango from a lady selling it. YUMM


Part way to the falls, we had a little stop at one of the little villages. This is what happens when a bus comes in to the bus stop... The ladies and gents selling surround the bus in case you might just want some bread, shrimp, water, donut, fried yam, or anything else they may sell :)
Some sights along the journey

There was about a half hour walk up to see the falls. This is some scenery along the way.



Papaya's

Coffee beans growing

First sight of Wli Falls...
These may be hard to see, but if you look closely you will see what looks like bumps all over the rock face...these are BATS that hang out beside the falls. Philip says that some of them are as big as a small dog..

Look Carefully, you'll see a black man and a white lady waving :)
Yes we did swim, and it was a little cold, but we were sweating and hot after our hike up to the falls, so it was so refreshing.
Philip enjoying the water by the falls

Yup, we had to do some self shots in order to see us, as our guide didn't quite know how to zoom to see us better :)

After swimming, getting the feet washed n back into the shoes :)

Before we left, it was about the time that the bats would come out ...they were huge, and you can sort of see how they look like big birds.

Wli Falls is West Africa's Tallest Water Falls

On our way back down, the forrest was very much like home :)

It's bad lighting, but yes, Philip is beside me :)


This was a HUGE centipede..it was about half an inch or more thick. The poor thing though, the back half of it was obviously attacked by something or squished.
This was us with our Tour Guide. He was very friendly and we had lots of laughs.

Back to the house :)

This was Philip's mom, Auntie Betty (on left) and his Aunt Teiko on the right.


Brotherly and Sisterly love :)
Philip and Ami

Esther and I
Ami and I

These girls can pose :)


Me and my girls

Oh, here's us, lookin good :)


It poured rain, so we had to have head scarves to run back and forth between the kithchen and the house when making supper, so here is Ami cookin away.

This was Esther's choice of headwear for the rain :)

This was the choice of meal.. boiled chicken pieces and then put into jaloff rice, which is this tomato sauce cooking, and then you add rice and cook the rice in the sauce, so it's basically tomato rice. It's delicious.
Alan decided that mangoes are very good, but when value is added, they are even better, so his request was a mango pie. Yes, I made the pastry myself, and had to make due with these pyrex bowls to cook it in. I must say that the pastry was perfect, and the pie was delicious :) Thanks mom for some of your suggestions. I did even find a little cake shop that had shortening, so made a flaky pie crust.


Philip's birthday was July 11th, so we celebrated in style :)

I think that He liked his new Manchester United jersey :)


Esther and I made this delicious meal. We went to the market to buy chicken and all the veggies. We marinated the chicken and then deep fried it. Then we made this lovely salad, and tomato sauce to go with the rice. Soo good! I know everyone else thought so too, as the comment was, "this is very very very fine food" :) Now you can see why I never tend to lose weight in Ghana, we eat like kings. Much food is supplied :)

Then the party started :) Haha, Yves decided he should help Philip with the celebrating, while we sang him happy birthday.
Relaxing a little before indulging in dessert.


Death by chocolate, back by popular demand :) I made this last visit and they all liked it, so I brought a few things with me again and made it again. It was "very fine dessert" :) (You might notice these comments about very fine, come from the Irish worker here, Alan hehe)


Well, there you have it. I can't believe how many pictures I manage to take in a short time, but I thought I should send another update just to keep you all interested :)

Thanks to all the comments that have been posted. I am glad you're reading. Yes, the markets here are incredible, almost anything can be found there, from veggies, meat, clothes, to household products, bleach, soap etc. It's pretty neat. Yes, we do keep busy, but busy is good. I don't enjoy the days sitting around, I tend to get bored easy, however preps are in full swing here, so there's no more sitting around days :)

I'll be in touch again soon. We have a modem and wireless internet here at the house now, so it makes it so much easier to update as I want, not having to go to the hot cafe and spend hours with the slow internet.

Anyways, still having fun :) Bye for now..
Your Ghanadian,
Leah :)

1 comment:

  1. Ah, you finally made it to Wli...pretty impressive water falls eh. Looks like you are having a great time. Greetings to all there.

    Clinton

    ReplyDelete